If you haven’t taken the opportunity to view the Morgan County Historical Society website, you might want to take a look. The site now includes the video, “Welcome to Peterson.” The video/slide show is approximately 15 minutes in length. It gives a brief history of the early settlement, the four schools, stores and hotel that were located in the community. Although it is not a complete history of the area, it presents some interesting facts and background information.
I just received a letter from Lynn Ostler who was a toddler when their family home was built in Mtn Green. The home went on to become the Hubbard House.
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Mormon Pioneer’s arrival in the Salt Lake Valley Pioneering Morgan County was prepared by Mary Chadwick and published by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Epperson . The book is the first known published history of Morgan County.
In January 1862 An act of the Utah Territorial Legislative Assembly established/defined the boundary of Morgan County. Morgan County was blessed with an abundance of natural resources. The acreage also became an essential piece of real estate for services making their route to the west coast. These included the telegraph, railroad and future utilities that would eventually traverse Weber Canyon.
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE MORGAN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
(To Clarify from 100 years of Morgan High School article, the beginnings of Morgan higher education started 100 years ago, not the graduating class. The 100 year graduating class will be 2015)
The areas of South Morgan and North Morgan were first settled in 1960-61, and were incorporated into Morgan City in 1868. Morgan’s business district had it origins along Young Street and State Street in South Morgan. Some of these first businesses included a mercantile and blacksmith shop. Although the business district was in South Morgan the main route into the area was located on the northeast side of Weber River. This created a dangerous situation to receive merchandise and supplies from out of the area. It was very hazardous to cross the river, especially in Spring prior to the first bridge over the river.