The majority of information about the Thornleys, Stuarts, and Ostlers is taken from Mountain Green, the Beautiful. Additional information was provided by Carol Warner Ralphs, Bob Poll, Bob Huerta and Don Hubbard and the Morgan Co. Historical Society. When you drive by old homes in Morgan County, do you ever wonder how long they have been there and what tales they could tell? One beautiful old home I have always admired is The Hubbard House on 5648 W. Old Hwy Rd., Mountain Green which is 85 years old. The home was originally built by the Ostler family in 1927. The history of the area goes back even further. The land that the house is on and the surrounding area from Snowbasin to the north in Weber County to Arthur’s Fork in Hardscrabble Canyon, Morgan County was originally owned by John W. Thornley and Hyrum Stewart. They formed a partnership and purchased the land jointly. In 1920, the partnership was dissolved amicably and the range land divided. The land surrounding the Hubbard House and extending north to Gordon Creek and to Snow Basin area apparently stayed in the ownership of Hyrum Smith. Stephen Lovell Ostler and his wife, Margaret Pearl Baker Ostler came to Mt. Green in 1920’s, they took over the Hyrum Stewart Ranch on Gordon Creek, which had been purchased by the Ostler family in 1921. Lovell’s father, John Stephen Ostler, was a sheep and cattle man and was active in other business ventures. The ranch contained considerable range land and a good sized farm. Lovell operated the farm where feed crops of hay, grain, and at one time, peas, were raised. The elder Ostler was in charge of the family’s sheep and cattle herds. During the lean years other livestock owners ranged their live-stock herds on the Ostler property for a fee. Lovell and Margaret married on March 24, 1920 in the Salt Lake Temple. They lived in Ogden for awhile and then moved to Mountain Green into the old two story ranch house on Gordon Creek. Here they lived until it burned down in 1927. The fire was caused by Margaret Pearl’s attempt to clean the chimney out by burning a piece of rubber in the stove. That year (1927) a handsome two-story brick home was built on the lot next to the Alonzo Robinson home. The couple had 6 children: Louise, Newell, Eugene, Majorie, Stephen and Lynn. Lynn remembered that sometimes their drinking water would become muddy and they would load milk cans into a wagon and drive to the Robinson store at Gateway where they would fill the cans up with good, clean water. The children attended school in Peterson, riding five miles in a little school bus. They attended church in Mountain Green and later in Peterson when the two wards were combined. Sometime around 1933, Lovell was called as a counselor in Mountain Green-Peterson Ward Bishopric, with Alfred Bohman as Bishop. Bishop Bohman remembered that he was a dedicated Counselor and attended all his meetings. He served in this office more than four years. Margaret Pearl assisted in the ward with her music talents and also served in various organizations. Both supported various projects in the ward and community. In 1940, Lovell Stephen Ostler moved from Mountain Green to Salt Lake City where he worked with his father and was also employed in an arms plant in SLC during the war. Margaret Pearl Ostler lived the remainder of her life on the ranch. At the time of her last illness she was employed at Hill AFB. She died May 18, 1943 and was buried in Ogden. Lovell supported three of his children on missions and assisted other needy missionaries. His contributions to BYU have been extensive according to his daughter, Majorie. He died in Salt Lake City in 1963 and was buried in Nephi where he had been born and raised. After this point, the history of the house and land is a less documented. Hubbard House, part 2, to be continued next week.
Please follow and like us: