Home community True love story ends with one last tow

True love story ends with one last tow


Glenn and JoAnn Allgood left this life the same way they lived this life–together. JoAnn Allgood had suffered recently from dementia and Glenn was by her side every second helping her through it. Glenn keptdriving his tow truck until very recently when he discovered an old cancer had returned. The couple’s love story would come to a nearly simultaneous close. After driving tow trucks and school buses for decades, the two died one day apart. As family members said their last goodbyes, the beautiful pine caskets were loaded on the back of the Glenn’s Towing tow truck and taken to the Croydon cemetery with their children and grandchildren following behind in their school bus and at least 10 other tow trucks in homage to the years of service this couple gave to their community. Grandchild Malorie Rasmussen said, “It was a tough day for sure, but perfect in every way and in the way they would have wanted it.” The Allgoods defied all the odds as a married couple. They were married young and only dated a few weeks before they sealed the deal. Anyone who has been married over 50 years has to have some secrets up their sleeve. The first secret seems to be a great sense of humor. Glenn ran Glenn’s Towing for years. He always had fun ad-libs on his advertisements like, “Always on my tows.” Glenn’s son Scot Allgood said, “Language was an important part of the Allgood culture. Tools, cars, sewing machines and recipes all had colorful names if they did not function correctly. If you misbehaved, you were equally likely to be re-named.” Scot continued saying that It was always entertaining to be around his parents. “My dad said my name was spelled the way it is because they couldn’t afford the last “t.” My mom said it was because my dad couldn’t spell.” They used to argue about which way the ceiling fan should turn every summer and every fall. “My daughter thought it was so funny, she wrote a story about it and won a writing contest with that story.” shared Scot. All jokes aside, The Allgoods demonstrated true caring for each other. After dementia started to kick in, JoAnn would often get confused. The couple went in to Morgan Valley Crafts to get their Sunday School books bound. Having forgotten why they came in, JoAnn became agitated and wanted to leave. Glenn made it a point to return the next day to tell the employees that he had a beautiful, wonderful wife. He defended her honor saying that she had put up with much more from him over the years than he would ever have to put up with from her. The Allgoods served their community in numerous capacities. They served in many callings in their church. JoAnn provided childcare in her home, delivered the Ogden Standard-Examiner for many years and drove a school bus for over 17 years. Glenn ran a Texaco and Chevron station in town, was the Morgan County Animal Control officer, was owner of Glenn’s Towing and also drove a school bus for over 27 years. Glenn and JoAnn were also volunteer EMTs with the Morgan County ambulance crew for several years. The dispatch phone was housed at their family home for a while because they were two of only three members of the volunteer team of EMTs at the time. Their first day on the job, they ended up coming to the rescue of their own son. “I was finally old enough to be able to go with the scouts shooting rats at the dump. Russell Clark gave me a ride on his bike. He was sitting on the handlebars and I was pedaling. Russell turned to talk to me and stuck his foot in the spokes sending us end over end. Janice Heiner saw it and called the ambulance crew. The ambulance got all the way to Ogden and someone asked my dad how I was, he said, ‘Fine, I would imagine. Why?’ The man replied that the last time he saw me I was unconscious on the side of the road. I remember laying in bed and Max Widdison, Garth Palmer and my dad walk in looking like whipped pups to check on me,” related Scot with a smile. “We have had a lot of laughs telling that story over the years.” Daughter MaryAnn Barnett added that ironically their father’s last tow was for a family member as well. In 1981, their youngest son Dave was injured. “Mom was headed in a hundred different directions. Scott was getting married, Lynne was pregnant with the first grandchild and missions for Dale and Teresa were being planned. We were painting a fence and got in a paint fight. I came home and cleaned the paint off with gasoline. Not thinking about the fact that while I was cleaning my upper body, I probably also got gas on my pants, I went to burn weeds and caught my pants on fire. I had third degree burns on both legs which landed me in the hospital for 98 days. Mom was down there every day and that there were very few nights she would even go home. Even with everything else going on, she was there by my side night and day,” related Dave. The Allgoods’ biggest ace in the hole seems to be a life of selfless service. Daughter Lynne Robinson said they took care of several neighbors who lived right next to them. “That is how we learned service. In the winter time we would shovel the walks and when they would offer us money, dad would tell us we couldn’t take it.” They were both hard workers. JoAnn would deliver papers late on Saturday so that she wouldn’t have to work on Sunday. She would take one of her children so they could help her stay alert, but her kids say they would generally fall asleep while their mom finished the job. Glenn had a sign at his service station that read, “Open 25 hours a day” and had his home phone number underneath. He joked that he was so busy during the day, he needed one more hour to finish everything. When the Field Street church was being built, the Allgoods bought extra ice cream from the Schwann man to bring to the workers every Thursday. The old firemen had a chalkboard where they would write where all the fires/emergencies were located. JoAnn would make food for the people up there and take it on up to where they were working to make sure they were all taken care of, all without disturbing the scene. The couple was so service oriented, it was rare that a local ever paid for small services. Because of this, the Allgoods received many expressions of thanks over the years, from sweet treats to sweet letters. One particular family wrote the following: “On the ride to the mechanics shop, Glenn asked how we pronounce our last name, ‘Skewes.’ I told him it’s really pretty easy, it’s just like ‘Excuse me’ without the ‘ex.’ He chuckled and said, ‘Ours is easy too, Allgood, you know, like it’s all good.” The Skewes family continued later saying, “After they dropped us off we told them we would catch a cab to the hotel. They would have nothing of it. They drove us to a hotel, walked us in to the front counter, shook hands and gave hugs and made sure we were taken care of. I’m sure this is a story told by anyone who came in contact with them.” Judging by the enormous stack of letters pulled out of the towing memory book, that statement couldn’t be more true. Brothers Dale and Scot even found people who had been touched by their parents while they were serving their missions. Even the Allgood children were amazed by the enormity of love that poured out from each of these letters. The letters spelled out sentiments like, “The world needs more angels like you to help the stranded travelers.” They even kept apology letters from kids who got in trouble on their bus. Hundreds of youth considered the kind couple, “Grandma and Grandpa.” Last summer one of these youth, Madylaine Johnson, had a daddy daughter date to attend and her own father couldn’t be there. She asked “Grandpa Allgood” to go in her dad’s place. He came to the door and picked her up, opened all the doors for her and gave her the perfect first date. Madylaine’s mom, Verlene, said, “Glenn would play tag and hide and seek with my children and sing ‘You are my Sunshine.'” Everyone who met this family has a unique story to tell. “I still remember the first time I ever laid eyes on JoAnn. I was at the elementary school and she came riding up on her cruiser bike with this super bright outfit on and a red hat,” reminisced Debbie Trussell. “That was just the beginning of our relationship.” Lynne fondly said, “Mom always wore fun hats. She would ride her bike all over town looking for money. She always said that’s how she would pay for our Christmas.” Wendy Nelson said, “They truly are the bread and butter of the quality people who make Morgan a little bit of heaven.” JoAnn would often drive the volleyball team to their games. Every time she would hit a curb she would tell them it was for good luck. “She was always so kind and so much fun,” said Emily Kinnear, former MHS volleyball team member. When Kinnear got older, Glenn helped her get her screaming daughter out of the car when she got locked in the car. “I asked what I owed him and he said simply, ‘Just do a good deed for someone else.'” This good Samaritan theology ruled supreme in this household. Carolyn Hibler related a similar story, “Many years ago my husband was clear up on the mountain and locked his keys in the truck. Glenn appeared in the blink of an eye. When he asked Glenn what he owed, he shook his hand and told him to have a better day.” When Glenn closed the gas station, good people owed him large amounts of money. His son asked him how he could deal with that. Glenn would say, “I have to live with my own self. They are responsible for what they do.” Morgan County News Editor Deanne Winterton had her own experience to share. “JoAnn quickly went from just a bus driver to a personal friend for many of the students she drove in the Mountain Green area. Once, I realized I hadn’t brought my textbook home so I could study for a very important test the next day. Joann overheard my predicament, and kindly offered to drive me back to the school to retrieve the book. She dropped off the bus and drove me back home in her own personal car. I eventually invited her to my wedding shower, where she gave me a pair of washcloths she had knitted. She could often be found knitting on the bus during slow times, and after I received my gift, I wondered how many other bus riders she had knitted for.” The Allgoods supported many youth serving LDS missions and always had money to spare for fundraisers. Kip Trussell was going door to door fundraising for an opportunity his son had with his wrestling team. They didn’t know the Allgood family, but approached the door and were greeted by Glenn. ” We were at his door for at least 25 minutes. He asked my son about sports, told us stories about his family. He said he wasn’t interested in a pizza card so we thanked him for his time and turned to walk away. He stopped us in our tracks and said, ‘Hey now. Just because I’m not interested in that pizza card, doesn’t mean I’m not interested in this young man’s future.’ He donated $20 and asked us to keep him updated. I was grateful for that $20 but I was even more grateful for that 25 minutes.” The Allgood kindness was always “all good” and their influence will impact generations to come. Thanks for the memories Glenn and JoAnn.

Please follow and like us:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here