Home Sports Football teams falls to South Summit

Football teams falls to South Summit


“It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.”  Friday night’s football game against South Summit was truly a Dickensian tale of two halves of football.  South Summit dominated the first half and went into the locker room with a 6-22 lead.  Morgan came out the second half and controlled the ball almost the entire two quarters before falling short on a two-point conversion that would have tied the game with a minute left. Penalties plagued both teams throughout the game with Morgan amassing 129 yards in penalties and South Summit 42. 

“We are working on discipline issues with the team,” Coach Kovi Christiansen noted. “Discipline in all aspects—in the classroom and playing discipline on the field.”  Several of Morgan’s penalties were costly holds, personal fouls and one unsportsmanlike conduct.

“We came out in the second half and played great defense with offense,” Christiansen shared. “I feel that we have turned a corner.  We need to keep working and keep improving, but we have played two good teams.  Bear River crushed Cottonwood last Friday and South Summit is a good team as well.”

In the game, South Summit took advantage of the Trojans’ punting miscues to score their first touchdown. Another quickly followed at the 2:55 mark in the first quarter and the third only a few minutes into the second period at 11:08.  South Summit also converted the two-point play following the third touchdown to bring the lead to 22-0.

The Trojans offensive woes continued on the next series as Morgan was forced to punt again.  South Summit received the ball and marched down the field.  The Trojans received a pass interference penalty followed by a holding call on South Summit before junior Bronson Neuenschwander picked off the Wildcats’ quarterback and ran back 60 yards for the Trojans’ first touchdown of the season at 6:53 in the second period.  The extra point was no good.  Morgan entered the half down 6-22.

The second half of the game was dominated by the Trojans, who retained possession of the ball for the remainder of the game.  South Summit had one drive in the third period that ended in a punt and a four and out series in the fourth quarter that lasted just over a minute.   Otherwise, the Morgan offense was on the field.

Morgan came out of halftime and quickly gained three first downs on runs by Tucker Skinner, Austin Francis and Trevor Rose.  Conley Breshears followed up with a seven-yard run and Francis ran for another before the Trojans incurred a holding penalty.  Facing a fourth and 13 situation, Morgan went for the first down and Skinner completed a pass to Francis, who ran to the eight-yard line. 

Two plays later, the Trojans were charged with a dead ball 15 yard personal foul and were facing second and 17.  Breshears regained ground to the 10 yard line to bring up third and 10, but a holding penalty, which was declined by South Summit, brought up fourth and 11.  Facing the second fourth down attempt of the drive, Skinner hit Francis in the end zone for the Trojans’ first offensive score of the year.  After a time out, Skinner ran in the two-point conversion to bring the game to 14-22 at the 8:02 mark in the third period. 

On the ‘Cats single drive of the third quarter, they incurred a dead ball personal foul after the kick-off return to start them on the 25.  After hitting two first downs, South Summit was stopped by the Trojan defense.  Caden Peterson recorded a quarterback sack, Breshears broke up a lateral pass and an incomplete pass forced the Wildcats to punt.

After receiving the punt, Morgan was called for unsportsmanlike conduct and penalized 15 years, and on the next play the Trojans were whistled for a chop block.  Skinner marshaled his forces and controlled the ball for the next five minutes before they turned it over on down. 

South Summit went four and out on their next series, punting the ball back to Morgan with 6:49 left in the game.  The Trojans ran for two first downs with Rose and Francis getting most of the carries.  The Wildcats played strongly at the goal line and held the Trojans out of their first three attempts from the two yard line.   On fourth and 2, Skinner connected with Breshears for the final touchdown of the night with 1:01 remaining.

Down 20-22, Morgan went for the two-point conversion for the tie to force overtime and came up short as the pass from Skinner was interrupted, ending the Trojan’s comeback bid.

On the night Morgan generated 330 yards total offense with 198 yards rushing and 132 passing.  They didn’t have any turnovers or interceptions.  Skinner was 9/20 in passing with 128 yards and Ben Millward added four.  Skinner also rushed for 20 yards.  Francis led with 67 yards rushing followed by Breshears with 51 and Rose with 47.  Francis and Breshears also topped the receiving yardage with 61 and 20 yards respectively.

On the defensive side, Owen Pentz led with five tackles and Francis followed with four unassisted, one assist and a tackle for a loss.  J. J. Morley, Lucien Barrett and Ben Millward all had two tackles and four assists while Ty Tucker had one solo tackle and five assists.  Breshears and Neuenschwander each had an interception.  Grayson Charlton handled the kick off duties, and Brennan Norman averaged 20 yards on his five punts with a long punt of 42 yards.

The Trojan’s next two games will be away at Payson and Delta on Sept. 2 and 9.  Juan Diego will come to Morgan on Sept. 16 in a re-match of the 2015 State Championship game.  In the homecoming game on Sept. 23, the Trojans will face the Emery Spartans.  Morgan only has four home games this year, so don’t miss out on your chances to watch the Trojans Sept. 2, 9 and Oct. 14 against Grantsville.

JV falls behind early,

loses by three 30-33

In Kamas, the junior varsity team fell behind 27-0 in the first quarter before scoring in the second period to go into the locker room down 27-6 at the half.  In the second half, Morgan came back, but lost 30-33.

Coach Kade Morrell quipped, “It was a good game for the coaches to get all of their jitters out.  Maybe we can do a better job next time.  The kids came back and played really well the second half.”

Freshman score big win 40-3

The Class of 2020 opened their football careers as Trojans with a big 40-3 victory over the Wildcats in Kamas. 

Coach Dustin Rock noted. “This talented group of ninth graders has a bright future.  They work hard and they play really well as a team. No one stands out or has to star.  They play as a team and we as coaches are excited to see where they will go.”

Please follow and like us: