Congrats to Becky Taggart (Newspaper), and Chad Strong (Facebook) for being the first to correctly guess last weeks hunt: Morgan Valley Manufacturing 340 N Industrial Wy (Morgan Canning Company). Just remember that entries must be submitted between Friday 6pm and Monday 12pm. Early or late submissions will not be counted.
This sandstone building was built in 1916 and was originally used as the warehouse and office for Morgan Canning Company. It was sold to Utah Packing Corporation in 1930 after the untimely deaths of the two owners, James and Joseph Anderson in 1926. It was deeded to California Packing in 1935 and continued to can only sauerkraut until 1956 when the building was converted into a large distribution and storage center. In 1963 Jack Olson purchased all the canning company buildings and leased the sandstone warehouse to several businesses until Morgan City Corporation acquired them. Kelly Strong purchased the buildings from Morgan City and restored the building for his business, “Morgan Valley Metals L.C. now called Morgan Valley Manufacturing.
Last Weeks Answer – Morgan Valley Manufacturing. This Weeks Clue
Join the Morgan County Historical Society as we Hunt for History each week through the end of 2018 as we celebrate Morgan City’s Sesquicentennial.
Here are the rules:
1. Must Correctly Identify Building – (either by business name, or address). First to identify gets prize (Book, Pin, or Ornament) and name put into Grand Prize Drawing. All others who identify also get name put in drawing for Grand Prize ($50).
2. Entries must be submitted between Friday 6pm and Monday 12pm. Early or late submissions will not be counted.
3. All buildings are located in Morgan City and the architectural detail can be seen from the public right of way. No Trespassing on Private property. All buildings are commercial or public, no private homes.
4. Limit one entry per person, per week.
5. Limit 3 prizes (after 3 prizes the winner will get their name put in twice for the Grand Prize Drawing).
6. Grand Prize Drawing will be held at the end of the year.
Call or email your answer to Rachel Turk at the Historical Society. (801)845-6085 or email@example.com Please include your name, answer and phone number when you call.
Follow Morgan County Historical Society on Instagram or Facebook for more history, contests and fun.