Congrats to Lesa Ann Anderson Gilgen (Facebook) and Lynn Boyce (Facebook) for being the first to correctly identify the last Hunt for History location: Morgan Physical Therapy and Fitness (Francis and Osgood General Merchandise, 129 Commercial St). Check out this week’s photo clue below and participate in the Hunt for History! All correct answers get entered into our grand prize drawing. The first to correctly identify wins a prize. See below for full list of rules.
The original 1900 two story building (see photo 1) was completely rebuilt in 1928 and made into the one story brick building that still stands there today (see photo 2 and 3). The original business was owned by both Arthur W. Francis and Dr. Charles F. Osgood, but that partnership was dissolved in 1904. Arthur became the sole owner and ran the company until he passed away in 1937. The store was closed between 1933 and 1936, due to hard times from the Great Depression. His son Harold took over and ran the store until September 1976 when they closed the store and sold the building to Lyle Smith who then ran a variety store. It is currently home to Morgan Physical Therapy and Fitness.
Join the Morgan County Historical Society as we Hunt for History each week through the end of 2018 as we celebrate Morgan City’s Sesquicentennial.
Here are the rules:
1. Must Correctly Identify Building – (either by business name, or address). First to identify gets prize (Book, Pin, or Ornament) and name put into Grand Prize Drawing. All others who identify also get name put in drawing for Grand Prize ($50).
2. Entries must be submitted between Friday 6pm and Monday 12pm. Early or late submissions will not be counted.
3. All buildings are located in Morgan City and the architectural detail can be seen from the public right of way. No Trespassing on Private property. All buildings are commercial or public, no private homes.
4. Limit one entry per person, per week.
5. Limit 3 prizes (after 3 prizes the winner will get their name put in twice for the Grand Prize Drawing).
6. Grand Prize Drawing will be held at the end of the year.
Call or email your answer to Rachel Turk at the Historical Society. (801)845-6085 or email@example.com Please include your name, answer and phone number when you call.
Follow Morgan County Historical Society on Instagram or Facebook for more history, contests and fun.