Congrats to Dylan Taggart (Facebook), Becky Taggart (Newspaper) and, Gwen Rich. (Instagram) for being the first to correctly identify the last Hunt for History location: Morgan County Courthouse (48 W. Young Street) Check out this week’s photo clue below and participate in the Hunt for History! All correct answers get entered into our grand prize drawing. The first to correctly identify wins a prize. See below for full list of rules.
On February 4, 1957 Wilkinson Construction Company demolished the historic courthouse. Construction of the new facility started in April 1957 (see construction photo below) under the direction of Ernest Stettler and Sons Company of Logan, Utah. The building was designed and constructed in such a manner that when more space is needed, a second story could be added to the existing building. It is made of pre-cast, pre-stressed concrete slabs provided by Otto Buehner and Company of Salt Lake City. The building originally housed both Morgan City and County offices as well as the courthouse. It was dedicated by Bruce R. McConkie on February 8, 1958 meaning that this year it turned 60 years old!
Join the Morgan County Historical Society as we Hunt for History each week through the end of 2018 as we celebrate Morgan City’s Sesquicentennial.
Here are the rules:
1. Must Correctly Identify Building – (either by business name, or address). First to identify gets prize (Book, Pin, or Ornament) and name put into Grand Prize Drawing. All others who identify also get name put in drawing for Grand Prize ($50).
2. Entries must be submitted between Friday 6pm and Monday 12pm. Early or late submissions will not be counted.
3. All buildings are located in Morgan City and the architectural detail can be seen from the public right of way. No Trespassing on Private property. All buildings are commercial or public, no private homes.
4. Limit one entry per person, per week.
5. Limit 3 prizes (after 3 prizes the winner will get their name put in twice for the Grand Prize Drawing).
6. Grand Prize Drawing will be held at the end of the year.
Call or email your answer to Rachel Turk at the Historical Society. (801)845-6085 or email@example.com Please include your name, answer and phone number when you call.
Follow Morgan County Historical Society on Instagram or Facebook for more history, contests and fun.