Home Features Community Former Intelligence Officer is Guest Speaker at SUP Luncheon

Former Intelligence Officer is Guest Speaker at SUP Luncheon


Career Intelligence Officer, Dean Carver, recently addressed the Morgan Chapter of the Sons of Utah Pioneers at their monthly luncheon.  Carver has spent more that 40 years in the intelligence field in the CIA and as a private contractor for the Directorate of National Intelligence.  He currently private consulting work as an instructor for the government.  His experience has taken him across the globe.  He holds Doctorate Degree in Economics.  Carver and his wife Linda have six children and twenty-six grandchildren.  Many places Carver has traveled are remote places that no one has ever heard of.  The one constant he sees in the places he travels is the strength of the Latter-day Saint church.  Sometimes he sees adversity against the Church, but the majority of his experiences are very positive.  He attends Sacrament Meeting wherever he goes and meets amazing people.  Sometimes the meetings are very difficult to get to, and sometimes expensive.  In Lebanon, for example, it cost about $80 to get to church. Sometimes the circumstances were unique.  In the Muslim city of Kabul, Afghanistan, the branch meets at a military base on Fridays.  Even though the area was heavy protected, members are required to wear body armor and carry a side arm to the meeting. The Branch President conducting the meeting is in full uniform with an M4 slung across his chest.  It can also be a challenge to find a church.  If you look for a listing for a Latter-day Saint church in Kathmandu, Nepal, the closest one is in India, 500 miles away.  Not to be deterred, Carver went to the Embassy and asked a woman if she knew of any church members in Kathmandu.  She said she knew of no members in Kathmandu, but she knew of a local congregation.  It turns out that in Kathmandu the sometimes have some anti-Christian problems so the Church maintains a low profile, so the Church is not listed in the directory.  The problem is that in many small underdeveloped countries a lot of neighborhoods have no addresses.  So even if it was listed in the directory you have no was to find it unless you know the neighborhood.  If you know the neighborhood, when you get there the cab driver begins to ask the locals questions until the address is found.  Carver was able to get a phone number from the lady at the embassy.  He called the number and asked if he could attend church with the brother than answered.  The brother tried to explain how to get to the meeting, but, finally agreed to come to the hotel with his daughter on his motorcycle and lead Carver to the meeting.  The daughter has served as a Temple Square missionary and went with him in the cab as interpreter.  It was easy to find the church once they found the neighborhood because of a steady stream of white shirts and ties, which he followed them to the meeting where he enjoyed powerful testimonies from the locals.  Carver shared several other exciting and spiritual experiences he had with church members from around the world.  The Carver’s later served a mission for the Church as Institute Directors in Indiana.  Their experience working with the young single adults was challenging, with long hours and amazing experiences.  Their time there was a life changing experience.

Ralph Powell, who spoke on Julia Shields, gave the Pioneer of the Month Report.  Julia was born on July 8, 1892 to John Shields and Ellen Hansen.  She attended school in Tooele and developed a love of music, graduating from the Utah Conservatory of Music.  She was also a graduate of Columbia School of music, majoring in piano.  To continue in her studies, she worked in a dentist office and waited table in a drug store.  She also had a beautiful singing voice and sang in many choirs.  She married John Powell on May 27, 1913.  It was a large and beautiful wedding.  They lived in a small place until the owner burned it down, causing them to move in with Julia’s mother until John sold property in Texas and was able to buy a home for them.  John could often be found in the garden.  When supper was ready, Julia would call him.  If he did not respond, she would throw a rock at him.  Having been the star catcher on a ball team, her aim was very accurate.  Julia was very sick in the fall and winter due to pregnancy.  She had a fall and delivered Elmo two months early.  Hyrum was their second son, followed by Bernice.  In one memorable experience, Julia’s children were being bullied.  Bernice was pushed into a canal and was being carried downstream.  Hyrum grabbed her by a hat tied around her chin.  Julia sat on the bully until he promised not to do it again.  Julia had another son, John Davis, whom she called JD, and a daughter she named Julia Maxine.  Julia was not well after the delivery.  She had contacted malaria and died on November 20, 1892.

Please follow and like us: