Congrats to Jason Durrant (Facebook) and Gwen Rich. (Instagram) for being the first to correctly identify the last Hunt for History location: Browning Outlet (Heiner Garage 185 Commercial Street) Check out this week’s photo clue below and participate in the Hunt for History! All correct answers get entered into our grand prize drawing. The first to correctly identify wins a prize. See below for full list of rules.
Heiner Garage and Ford Dealership opened in Morgan in 1911 next to the Vallis Hotel and Stewarts Confectionary. By 1921 they had a new garage built at 185 Commercial Street (see photo). The Heiner family continued to run the business until 1998, making it the oldest Ford Dealership in Utah and the oldest continuous dealership west of the Mississippi at that time. It endured the challenges of the depression and two world wars, which were especially perilous times for automobile dealerships. In 1998 the Barber Brothers bought the dealership and relocated. The Browning Outlet moved into the building has been selling their goods to the community and tourists there since. Browning’s Headquarters have been located in Mountain Green since 1964.
Join the Morgan County Historical Society as we Hunt for History each week through the end of 2018 as we celebrate Morgan City’s Sesquicentennial.
Here are the rules:
1. Must Correctly Identify Building – (either by business name, or address). First to identify gets prize (Book, Pin, or Ornament) and name put into Grand Prize Drawing. All others who identify also get name put in drawing for Grand Prize ($50).
2. Entries must be submitted between Friday 6pm and Monday 12pm. Early or late submissions will not be counted.
3. All buildings are located in Morgan City and the architectural detail can be seen from the public right of way. No Trespassing on Private property. All buildings are commercial or public, no private homes.
4. Limit one entry per person, per week.
5. Limit 3 prizes (after 3 prizes the winner will get their name put in twice for the Grand Prize Drawing).
6. Grand Prize Drawing will be held at the end of the year.
Call or email your answer to Rachel Turk at the Historical Society. (801)845-6085 or firstname.lastname@example.org Please include your name, answer and phone number when you call.
Follow Morgan County Historical Society on Instagram or Facebook for more history, contests and fun.